Sunday, October 30, 2011

Don't Let Your Age Get In The Way

I have had several young entrepreneurs email me and ask how I got adults to take me seriously. I had problems with this at times, with stores not really listening to me when I was trying to sell my candles. After a few disappointments I learned when you act professionally and business like, you will be treated with respect and people will be interested in what you have to say. Your age can be an advantage though; it's what causes you to stand out and get the extra media attention that will get your business going. Here's some tips for being professional:
- dress appropriately, wear nice clothes and look good. It's ok to wear jeans and a nice shirt as long as no underwear are showing and you look put together.

- act confident, if you are mumbling and are unsure of yourself and your product, the adult will doubt you. Talk to them like you are the same age because you are on the same level in this business relationship. Don't behave disrespectfully though.

- leave a good impression with an owner. When you walk in, be sure to shake the owners hand. Make good eye contact and speak clearly. More often than not you won't have a deal when you leave the store. Give them contact information and don't be afraid to followup in a week or two. This will make you look good to the owner.

- Be organized. I have learned a lot about invoicing stores from store owners. They will see you as a professional if you keep a record of what they purchase and what they owe you.

1 comment: